Friday, October 19, 2012

You were right, I was wrong.

It's a good thing Clark doesn't read my blog, or he would know that I am going to admit that he was right and I was wrong.  Kind of.  Let me explain. 

When we found out Tyler was going to be a boy, I immediately started thinking up boy names.  It's what we do, I come up with pages of names that I like and Clark finds something wrong with all of them.  It's amazing to me that ANY of our children even have names. 

Anyway, when Abigail was born, (boy, this is going to be a really long story, isn't it?) I didn't want an A name.  My sister and I both have the same initial, and I was determined that our children would not be the same way.  Well, guess what?  The only name Clark liked started with an A. 

So, when Tyler came along, I decided that we should do an A name, and it just so happened that I had the perfect one.  Alaric.  The name comes from my favorite book series of all time - The Legends of the Guardian King.  *On a side note, if you click the previous link and read the introduction, you'll see that the main character's name is actually Abramm.  One of his middle names is Alaric and he goes by that for much of the fourth book, and it kind of stuck with me.* 

Anyway, I LOVE that name and had my heart set on Tyler being an Alaric.  Clark took one look at me and said no.  I think the exact thing running through his mind was "What is it about my pregnant wife that she comes up with ridiculous sounding names?"

A little part of me was sad about that for a very long time, until the other night.  I was channel surfing downstairs when the Vampire Diaries caught my eye.  Not because I was going to watch it or am remotely interested in vampires (they are right up there with zombies in my book), but because of the episode guide.  There's a vampire hunter on the show named Alaric.  And, while I know this might sound strange, I would have wanted Tyler to be named after the Alaric in my book, instead of having people ask me if he was named after the Alaric in the show. 

So, to my husband, you were right to veto Alaric, but not because it isn't a nice name, because it is!

6 comments:

  1. I hear where you're coming from!!! It's a very interesting name...I haven't heard it, but I kind of like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People always ask me if I named Isabella (Bella) after the twilight series... Serious!? She is 8 years old, do the math... and why would I do such a ridiculous thing like that!? Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was Twilight even written by the time she was born?

      Delete
  3. I got asked if we named Emma after Emma on Friends. People don't understand that you can like a name without it being on TV

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what's funny - no one ever asks if Anderons is named after Anderson Cooper. But everyone comments on it being a first name.
    (by the way he is not named after Anderson Copper - just loved Anderson as a first name).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always assumed he was named after Anderson Cooper, but probably because we watch CNN all of the time, and I know who he is!

      Delete