Friday, April 13, 2012

Picnic blanket

 We had our first campfire of the season tonight!  Our church hosted it.  It was so much fun...I wasn't going to go since Clark had to work tonight and there are just some things I don't choose to do alone with three kids.  Campfires are usually one of those things.  However...my rubber arm got twisted, so I went.  I did however SLAVE away this afternoon making myself a waterproof picnic blanket.  Once it's warm out consistently, our Tuesday morning Mom's group will be meeting at a park, so I knew that I wanted to make something big-ish for Tyler to hang out on...but also something for me so my butt wouldn't get wet from the dew.  I know, who worries about that right?  I'm sure I saw this idea on pinterest...but when I went to look for it again, I couldn't find it.  Obviously I didn't pin it, I just looked at it.  So.  I apologize if you happen to be reading this blog and it was you that had the idea originally.  If that's the case, let me know and I will totally give you the credit.  I FOUND THE LINK!  Phew.  It's always better to give credit where it's due isn't it?  Anyway, I went to Wal-Mart and found:




A waterproof tablecloth (striped) and a red twin size flat sheet.  The tablecloth was $4.97, the sheet was $8.00.  If you're thriftier than me, you could probably go to a second hand place and pick up a sheet for way cheaper...by the time I made it to Wal-Mart I think it was my 3rd stop out of about 5 or 6 that day...with 3 kids.  I didn't want to add to the stress.  However, I think this was totally worth $13.00.  I think I would probably have spent at least $20.00 for one pre-made!  The sheet was bigger than the tablecloth, so I matched up two sides (top and bottom) and sewed those first ~ right sides together. 
You can see there that there is extra fabric on two sides.  This step I should have checked to make sure everything was also sewed correctly, because once you cut fabric, it's done.  There's no going back.  I did NOT sew it correctly, I did NOT cut the fabric correctly, and so my one side has a bit of a bubble.  Oh well.  I don't care.  It still looks cute.
It looks like our grass has fluff on it!

Once everything is sewed (oh, leave a little opening to turn it right side out) this is what it looked like!

I'm kinda sad that the fun fabric is the one on the bottom...but oh well!  It turned out pretty good.  While I was outside doing my cutting, two little girls asked to have their pictures taken as well....



And then a little brother woke up from his nap, so we had to snap his pictures as well!

Do you notice 2 teeth peeking through?

On a totally kinda not related note....I climbed a hill tonight.  I haven't done that since I was probably 10.  Over 20 years.  I made my friend Ashley climb it with me.  We're both a bit wimpy.  I think it made us closer though.  That, or she'll start running away from me whenever she sees me coming.  She's also pretty good at Bocce Ball.  That might be a post for another day.  I'll see, maybe it will make a Saturday Snapshot!

3 comments:

  1. I like the blanket. It's really pretty. I didn't even notice the bubble. And it is a little sad that the fun fabric is on the bottom. But you can still see it, so not too sad. And definitely closer, I didn't even feel weird staring at your bum after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does the fabric have to be on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just clued in that the waterproof was the striped. Duh.

      Delete